During the “Healthy Eating Workshops” that I have been giving for children in schools and local communities, I have observed that the children gained a good knowledge of food and enjoyed themselves, being able to produce good healthy, freshly made food
I have come to the conclusion that the following information should be considered in helping cookery classes be taught in all our schools again
- The children became very knowledgeable about healthy eating, different kinds of food, where it came from and what food does to their bodies when eating a good healthy diet.
- Gave them a basic knowledge of a nutritious diet and which foods are good for certain parts of the body to stay healthy.
- The children were not afraid to try different and new foods.
- They discovered that home-made is best and that food does not take a long time to prepare and cook.
- Cooking uses their senses of sight, touch, taste and smell.
- The children can “ show off”, by producing something that everyone needs and they are proud of their products.